Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The things you realize...

My sister moved far away from home right after she graduated from college and because we are both so busy with our lives, sometimes we've gone months without talking to each other. When she told me two months ago that she was pregnant, things changed almost instantly. Now if I don't talk to her every day, I feel like something is missing in my life. The conversations we've had over the last two months have ranged from baby names, to car seats, to lifelong decisions that we have read about in the parenting and psychology magazines.
My head fully realizes that this is NOT MY BABY, but my heart is screaming that I will love this child as much as my sister and her husband will. I just want to brief my sister and her husband on what this could possibly mean to them.
First, you will be receiving an iPod for the baby with many different types of music. I think I'm going to go with a little bit of Eagles, some older Springsteen, a little bit of Beatles, a song or two from Zeppelin and Floyd, some David Gray, a little dose of Prince and of course a whole lot of Bon Jovi. I am expecting you to play that music for the baby every night when you are trying to get him to sleep. Occasionally, it will be alright if you sing some of those songs to the baby, preferably "Wanted Dead or Alive," "Always," "I'll be there for you," and "Bed of Roses." This little exercise is so that the baby will know what I am doing when I try to put him to sleep when I get to watch him for the weekend.
Second, I know that neither of you are readers, but as not readers you both know how difficult it is for a child that isn't a reader. Soon I will be adding to your children's book collection. Classics such as Corduroy, The Hungry Caterpillar, If you give a Pig a Pancake, Goodnight Moon and Where the Wild things Are. If you read the baby a book every night, even before it is born, then maybe two non-readers can have a child that is a reader.
Also, I will be sending the baby its first stuffed animal. I'm not sure exactly what type of animal it is going to be, but I will have a picture of me airbrushed on to the toy's tummy. This is because I am not going to be able to be there to see the baby every day until you move back to Buffalo and I don't want him screaming or shying away from me when he does see me. So my theory is, if his favorite toy has a picture of me on it, he will get to know me vicariously.
I realize all this isn't as exciting as silly videos of mommy and daddy welcoming the baby or having fun with the new video camera, but really how much video can the baby actually watch. If any of this is unacceptable to you, let me know, because like I said, excited Aunts can really overstep.
I miss both of you very much and I can't wait to see you at the end of November.

1 comment:

Mike and Dawn said...

I think my sister is just as weird as we are!